The advancement in medical technology has enabled medical professionals to deliver better surgical results with various procedures, including cataract surgery. Given how common this eye problem is, it is a relief for patients who had to undergo this procedure knowing that the rates of success are now higher than ever. If you have been diagnosed with cataract and recommended for surgery, it is important to learn all the things you should know about cataract surgery. This information will help you to not only know what to expect, but also prepare for it to increase success.
• Cataract, and the need to undergo surgery because of it, might be frightening to you. However, it is a pretty common condition and many patients have successfully restored their vision post-surgery. In fact, some have even been able to let go of their dependence on sunglasses post-surgery.
• One of the most important things you should know about cataract surgery is that it is recommended not just for patients who have suffered vision loss. If you have noticed fading or dulling of colors, or loss of contrast sensitivity, you could be a candidate for surgery. It is therefore important to consult an eye expert since they are the ones with the expertise to make the right recommendation. Furthermore, no eye doctor should recommend eye surgery right away. There should be a series of tests to be done first.
• Unlike in the past, the new technology available to eye doctors these days make the cataract surgery safer and less invasive. Hence, more patients are opting to undergo this procedure because it enables them to fully restore their vision and general eye health.
• Even though the new surgical techniques for cataract patients are more advanced and less invasive, it is still not entirely risk-free. Some of the complications that could arise after the procedure are detached retina, lens dislocation or some type of inflammation. These are minor complications though with a 1-4% chance of it developing into a serious complication.
• If you were to undergo cataract surgery, you can do it as an outpatient. You are not required to have an overnight stay in the hospital. Therefore, it is important to have a family member to assist you after the procedure.
• Depending on the type of procedure you choose for the surgery, cataract surgery is not painful. Some patients have complained about a mild sensation of pressure around the eye. Other than that, it is relatively pain-free.
• One of the newest types of technology available to eye doctors for cataract surgery is in the form of laser. This approach to surgery is considered non-invasive and safe at Milan Eye Center. These higher technology surgical tools, however, will involve more cost. Therefore, you need to be willing to pay for the higher cost for a non-invasive procedure.
These are just some of the things you should know about cataract surgery. If you have further questions, it is best to consult an expert or your surgeon. You can also visit this website to get the information you need: https://www.milaneyecenter.com/a-definitive-guide-to-cataract-surgery-updated-2016/.